The South African Animal Health Association (SAAHA) started operating as a Non Profit Company on 1 January 2003. The Association, a "daughter" association under the umbrella of AVCASA - Association of Veterinary and Crop Associations, used to be a division of AVCASA but is now an autonomous Association representing 90 % of animal health product importers, manufacturers and suppliers in South Africa. It has 21 companies as members.
“SAAHA is controlled by an Executive Council consisting of nominated individuals from all ordinary member companies. The President of SAAHA is Andre Westerveld (Elanco SA) and the Vice President is Tommy Thompson (Merial SA) . SAAHA is a member of the HealthForAnimal, a non-profit, non-governmental organization representing companies and industry associations from both developed and developing countries.
The Association serves the farmer/ end user of veterinary products by:
- Ensuring that only quality products that are registered and fit for use are sold and distributed.
- Through research and development internationally and locally, new and/or improved products are regularly put on the market.
- Also looking after the interests of emerging farmers.
- Conducting research into vector resistance in South Africa.
- Ensuring that sales personnel are properly trained and accredited.
The Association promotes the interests of its members by:
- Making inputs into the development of legislation and regulations.
- Appointing working groups to attend to current issues and problem areas.
- Liaison with government and other bodies.